Friday, August 14, 2009

Temper tantrum.....

It was bound to happen...it always does! Two days into muffin testing, I had my first temper tantrum. Most of you that know me will not be surprised - I'm the short fuse but get over it quickly type.

The recipe for day one was White Chocolate Raspberry. They turned out very nicely and, overall, were well received by my testers. The recipe for day two was Coffee Cake. This is a new recipe that I have just started working with. It's actually supposed to be for a coffee cake, not muffins, so it took some adjusting, but I really loved the combination of ingredients. I've been experimenting with some new ingredients that I don't normally use (like vanilla bean paste - YUM!!) and was feeling really good about this recipe and....then it happened. My muffins are in the oven, the fragrant smell of orange and cinnamon wafting out and spreading the delicious smell of home-baked goodness throughout the kitchen. I peek in about halfway through (don't open the oven door!!) and all looks well. I check again a few minutes later and, sure enough, they've fallen. Not fallen like they just don't have that pretty dome anymore, but flat-out caved in. They kind of look all of us girls hope our stomachs will look like after we work out like madwomen and don't eat for two weeks to fit into that perfect dress. What's the word - oh, I know - CONCAVE. My muffins were completely and totally concave!

That's okay - shit happens! That's how we learn. And, as much as I am known for my temper, I am also know for my persistence and perfectionistic nature. So - no biggie - I'm starting over. And over.....and over.....and over!! No matter what I did, the little buggers wouldn't rise. Usually when this happens, it's the kids fault (or the dogs on certain rowdy days). Any novice baker knows that you can't be jumping around when baking - it will flatten out the most well-intentioned cake, cupcake, muffin or bread in two seconds flat. However, the kids weren't home, and the dogs were outside. And although I'm not the most graceful gal on the planet and I certainly wouldn't be referred to as a waif - I know it wasn't me.

So, I am on a mission! I am going to find out why these darn muffins won't cooperate. I don't like flat muffins and, from the feedback that I have gotten thus far from my testers, neither do they and, let me tell you, they are a tough crowd. I don't pick my testers because I know they like muffins and will love having home-delivery for a month. I pick them because most of them are long-time friends of mine and I know that they will be brutally honest. I knew as I was boxing up my little muffin-y friends that I would hear about their flat domes and sure enough - the flack is flying in the door faster than I can say "miserable muffin".

I won't give up until I figure it out. You are all welcome to submit your thoughts about why and what you've done to resolve the dilemma (no, I won't leave Colorado and it's havoc-wreaking altitude!!). When I figure it out, I will let all of my readers know the outcome. Then I will re-make the Coffee Cake muffins and deliver them again with my tail between my legs hoping to redeem myself. After all, when it comes to baking, persistence always pays.

No comments:

Post a Comment